Are You Teachable?
The Girls on the Big Blue Couch™ Show
Being teachable is an important character trait that all overcomers must possess. The more teachable you are, the more likely you are to succeed. Individuals with a teachable spirit are usually humble, have a heart of gratitude, and overcome obstacles ten times faster than those who don’t operate in this trait. Are you teachable? Find out as we dive into 3 attributes that keep you from being teachable and how you can shift that direction in your own life for a better 2015!
If you want to take these episodes with you, remember to subscribe to our podcast on iTunes!
A teachable person is someone who always seeks to grow personally. To help you begin or maintain this habit, we encourage you to download our 7 Days of FREE Coaching to help you Feed Your Mind with Truth! Download your FREE coaching audios here.
What does it mean to be TEACHABLE?
Definition – capable of being instructed, as a person; docile.
It’s more of an ATTITUDE than an ABILITY.
Why is it important to be TEACHABLE?
Being teachable is important because the more teachable you are, the more likely you are to succeed. Teachable people:
- Walk in humility
- Have a heart of gratitude
- Learn from their mistakes
- Overcome obstacles faster than those who get stuck not being teachable.
3 Attributes That Keep You From Being Teachable:
- Pride – keeps you from being teachable because you think that you already know everything, or that you are better than the person trying to teach you something. “I’ve got it all together, I’m so much better at this than she is, I’ve got a PHD or a certificate so obviously I know what I’m talking about, I’m so great at…, I’m irreplaceable – they need me!”
- Insecurity – keeps you from being teachable because you doubt your own ability to apply what you’ve learned with success. Sounds like “I’m not good enough, everyone thinks I’m a horrible person, I’m not as good as…” (Comparison keeps you unteachable!)
- Pessimistic Perspective – keeps you from being teachable because you think nothing will work for you. Sounds like “it’s too hard, yeah it might work for them but that would never work for me, they’re just lucky, etc.
How do you become teachable? SHIFT YOUR PERSPECTIVE!!!
- Recognize that you can learn something from everyone, regardless of age, gender, race, social standing, profession, schooling, IQ, etc.
- Choose to say no to excuses!
- Begin the habit of asking yourself “what could I have done better?” and “What have I learned?”