18 Ways to Appreciate Your Spouse
by: Raychel Chumley
When is the last time you took the time to let your spouse know you appreciate them? If your like most married couples life get’s busy after you say “I do” and the little things you used to do for each other that showed appreciation get forgotten or pushed to the back burner. Ugh! The good news it takes very little time, or money, to let you spouse know you love and appreciate them. Below are 18 easy ways to show your appreciation to your husband or wife!
9 Ways to Show Your Husband You Appreciate Him…
- Tell him verbally or in writing that you value his work.
- Tell him you admire his willingness to protect and care for you and your family.
- Praise his good decisions and be gracious if he makes bad decisions.
- Understand his physical need for sex and respond to him instead of pushing him away.
- As much as possible, disagree only in private and honor his authority in front of your children.
- When you disagree, calmly give your reasons why but don’t attack. You can be right…but wrong at the top of your voice.
- Tell him that you LIKE him. He knows you LOVE him but sometimes he wonders whether you actually like him.
- Encourage him to spend time alone to recharge- knowing that the more energized he is the more willing he will be to connect with you later.
- Realize his need for his friends. Don’t bash the time he spends with his friends thinking he will spend more time with you…it won’t work!
9 Ways to Show Your Wife You Appreciate Her…
- Learn the art of non-sexual touch. Hold her hand, give her a hug, or rub her back…no strings attached.
- Make it a priority to spend time alone with her. Choose alone time over “guy” time once in a while.
- Give her your full attention when she is talking to you. Don’t grunt responses while you are watching TV or on the computer.
- Learn to listen. Don’t try to “fix her problems” unless she asks you for a solution. Sometimes she just wants you to listen.
- Apologize and admit when you are wrong.
- Never dismiss her feelings…even when they seem irrational to you.
- Pray with her and for her.
- When you see something that needs to be done do it without her having to ask you to.
- Speak highly of her in front of others. Never be critical of her in front of other people.
Ladies and gentlemen your challenge this week is to try at least one of these ways to show your spouse you appreciate them. Please leave a comment below to let us know what you picked! We can’t wait to hear from you!
Raychel Chumley is a Life Coach, Author, Speaker, and Entrepreneur. She is the Co-Founder and President of Big Blue Couch® Coaching, LLC. After finding healing and purpose from a troubled marriage, toxic friendships, and postpartum OCD, Raychel is on a mission to break bondage and speak truth over other women. She is the author of the home study program Celebrate Your Man and the Bible Study, Unbroken: Embracing the Cracks that are Making You Whole. Raychel has a BS in Psychology and Biblical Counseling from Liberty University and is a licensed Esthetician. She lives in North Dakota with her husband, Brandon, and their three children.